Friday, October 23, 2009

caught in the act

A few weeks back, I went out in the backyard to find a strange looking bird....just walking around. It sort of looked like a chicken, but had an odd shaped body and did not really have that chicken "strut". Well, I came back inside and told Rex we had a strange bird in the backyard...when he went and looked he just about died laughing. He said "ITS A CHICKEN!" Believe me, I still have not heard the end of that. Well, we can't figure out how he got in our backyard, (this is at our Vegas house)but I'm pretty sure he "lives" at a house down the street that has a few of them roaming their yard. Rex chased it out of the backyard and that was that....WRONG! It kept coming to "visit" us. In the mornings when I would leave for work, I would see it in the front yard. It sort of became a joke that our pet chicken was back to visit us. This was happening on a pretty regular basis.
Well, a week or so ago, Rex planted some new flowers in the planters around the trees in the front yard. After a couple of days, he said that he thought the chicken was getting into the planters and picking at his flowers, scratching at the dirt and making all kinds of a mess. He said there was a bunch dirt in the grass, like the chicken has been scratching at it, throwing it out of the planter. He was a little but hurt that this chicken was messing in his flowers.
That brings me to this morning....as I was pulling out of the driveway, what do I see? Yep, a chicken. It was not the first one I saw in the backyard that day...this one actually looks like a chicken. But there it was headed straight for the flowers. I had to take some pics of it...too funny! Maybe we will be having fried chicken for dinner!

heading for the planter...ready to make his move

on the edge....checkin it out...pickin the right spot
(see all that dirt on the cement edge, thats his handy work)



looking around...is anybody watching?

CAUGHT IN THE ACT!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Too bad they don't lay an egg for you in return to scratch in your dirt! Maybe you or Rex could work out a deal with them!

David and Vicki Wardell Family said...

Hey this is a back up plan, if there isn't any deer, maybe the hunter can bag a chicken... Alot easier to clean and eat too....

Claudine said...

That is so funny!! My heck, Paula, don't you know a chicken when you see one? Your Harmony days aren't that far behind you are they? Oh, come to think of it, we didn't have any chickens when we lived there, just bats!

K,K and Tay said...

I think that Chicken is getting revenge for you having another blog called cookin with the chicks!!