Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thinking Back....

As I read some of your blogs about fall and all that it brings, I was thinking about this past summer and some of the fun times I had. This was an unusual summer for me. Ever since I started working for the school district, I have worked at year round schools. This year my school went to a 9 month schedule so it was my first summer off in a few years. It was really strange for me. Mom and Kim always talked about their summers off and how the time just flew by. Not so when you are working the entire summer. I always told them it just makes it harder to go back after having that much time off. I guess that was just my way of making myself feel better since I was working and they were off. Well, this was it. My turn. I decided to go to Utah and spend some time at the Enoch Ranch. I really did not have a plan, as far as how long I was going to stay. I did not need one....I had all summer. Some of the highlights....and low lights:

**Canning Pickled Beets With Barbara**

As it is known throughout the land, Ted can grow a garden-and me loves to reap the fruits of his labors. I LOVE pickled beets and Barbara is such a wonderful mom-in-law, she offered to help me bottle some. We spent an entire day, from the picking fresh beets that morning, cleaning and cutting the tops, boiling, peeling, making the pickling juice to the bottling. I admire Barbara for her hard work every year when it is time to harvest the garden. She works her tail off and this day was no different. She was by my side all day, working and teaching me through every step. When all was said and done I took home nearly 2 dozen pints of those ruby red treats.

**Babysitting Mataya**
Kara went to Germany with her Mom and Grandparents, so Mom and I got to stay in Hurricane and babysit that cute little ....
FUN TIMES!! I have NEVER been around such a sweet spirit. That little darling is always in a good mood, even when she wakes up in the morning. Mom was there for about 2 weeks and I went down for a few nights to help her out. I was very grateful to have the opportunity to spend some time with both Kenyon and Mataya.

Mataya and Aunt Paula..deep in converstaion
**Spending Time With Mom**
Along the same note.... during that time Mom and I got to spend some time together. Kenyon was working all day of course so we spent days visiting, driving around Hurricane and surrounding towns, shopping and getting ultrasounds (inside joke).... I would not trade those times for anything. Thanks Mom.

**Going to the Lake**
While we were in Hurricane, Jessika and Dad came down one evening and Kenyon took us to Sand Hollow on their new little boat. What a fun time. We pulled each other around on the fierce looking tube, swam, had diving/jumping off the boat contests, opened our eyes under water, just because Dad said he could, Kenyon got a tummy tuck (another inside joke), and LAUGHED! Kenyon thought it would be fun to go double on the tube, actually the fun part was just trying to get 2 people on the tube. I don't think I have laughed that hard in a long time. Dad is such a good sport, and definitely NOT a quitter. He and Kenyon must have tried for 30 minuets to get on that tube together. Dad got a pretty nasty cut on his foot trying to jump off the side onto the tube with Kenyon. Jessika and I finally DID get on together and rode for quite a while.

Dad...pooped out after trying..and trying to get on the tube with Kenyon

Yea..we did it! Now hold on tight.
Kenyon's tummy tuck, thanks to the rope.


**Now for the low light....
During this time, I was kind of in limbo with my job. I had been informed before I left for Utah that I was being reassigned to a new school due to the budget cuts our school district is facing. I tried to enjoy the summer as best I could, what was the point in worrying about something I could not do anything about at the time. I finally found out that they assigned me to a jr. high clear out by the airport....so I was on the hunt for a job closer to home. I applied for many positions, and interviewed for one of them. I was called and offered that position on a Monday evening but it just did not feel right, so I decided not to accept it. The next morning, my old school called and said they had a position open up and did I want it. Isn't it funny how things work out. After much stress and worry, (I am cutting this story really short), I am back at Bruner and very happy about it. I guess this low light turned out OK after all.
It was a great summer......
Welcome Fall!

10 comments:

Janna said...

So good to hear about your summer. That would have been hilarious to see dad and Kenyon try to get on that tube. I am laughing just thinking about it!!! And yes, it is funny how things work out.

To answer your questions on my blog...The kids haven't decided what they are being for Halloween, that is on out list for tomorrow. And I am not dressing up, not sure about Brandon.
I am taking the kids to my sisters house in NC for Halloween.

Jessika said...

mm..all that looking back and you forgot to mention that you spent like a month with youre lovely daughter..how rude.
nice blog though. love you momma

Claudine said...

Wonderful Blog, Paula. I laughed and even shed a few tears over this one. It was a good summer for me too, having you come up and spend time. Jessika's comment is so funny. Good one, Jess! Love, Mom P.S. Dad is going to die when he sees the photo of him all tuckered out. Mom

Claudine said...

Tall Paul, good blog, enjoyed reading it this morning,fun to reflect back on the good ole days of summer, we had some good times, I really enjoyed them with you guys, and yes I still have a battle scar from all that fun, keep up the good work.

Dad

Vernile said...

Although we don't see you much it is fun to keep up a little on your lives through the blogg. Keep posting.

oldcowboy said...

Paula,
It has been fun to start reading your blog. Why don't you blog about your experiences while living in Grandpa Lowe's old house. I would love to read what you remember about those Harmony days.

Uncle Brent.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Sis. Nice entry...keep it up. Love you.

K,K and Tay said...

Ok Paula that was the best post I have ever read! I laughed so hard I think I cried a little. Thanks again for all you and your Mom did while I was gone. Love ya

knap said...

Paula, your blog is so good, for being a first time blogger you are really good at it, and to answer your question about the Mamma Mia, Toot was not to sure what he was getting into, but he really did like it, it is so worth seeing.

Tootette

Erin Ganley said...

I like the lake pictures! Thanks for letting me spend some of that summer time in Enoch too! I'm glad you are still at Bruner :)